Friday, May 22, 2020

Wishing for Normal While Dreading Normal 5.22.20

Mental Health Awareness Month Day 22.

As much as I wish things could return to normal, I dread things returning to normal. Yet I am also aware things will never be completely the same again.

At first, I was fine with quarantine. I had plenty of things to do. (I don’t get bored. I don’t even believe in that word.) But then I felt like being stuck at home started to limit me getting better. And then I felt like it was making things worse. Now I’m realizing that I am more of a home body than I thought I was. Or maybe I’ve just become mostly content with not really being able to go wherever whenever with whoever.

But I’m so sick of it. All of it. I’m sick of hearing and thinking about the Coronavirus every day. I’m sick of hearing about the deaths from this pandemic. I’m sick of being bombarded by it on the news and on social media. I’m sick of things being closed and cancelled. I’m sick of the social distancing signs at the store. I’m sick of seeing masks instead of faces. I’m sick of not being able to hang out with anyone whenever I want. I’m sick of feeling like I have to walk on eggshells around everyone because everyone is handling this differently and everyone is on different levels of accepting or denying what is happening.

I’m grateful for the extra kindness and compassion that have been witnessed and felt. I’m grateful for life slowing down. I’m grateful for feeling like we’re all in this together. I’m grateful for less stress. I’m grateful for more people willing to give more people a break or cut them slack more often. I’m grateful for the perspective we have all been given. I’m more grateful for teachers, grocery store checkers, doctors, nurses, and all the others who have been deemed “essential workers” throughout all of this. I’m more grateful for technology and the Internet. 

I’m afraid as things return to “normal” that we will lose what we’ve learned during this pandemic. That we will build walls back up again. That we will busy our lives with things that don’t really matter. That we will forget about all those who still suffer when the world is “normal”. That we will check on each other less. That we will speak up less. That we will judge each other more. That we will put ourselves in each other’s shoes less. That we will become apathetic to dehumanization. 

I hope that we will really hold onto all of the good that came from this global virus. I hope we will let it change us for the better. I hope we will take off running with it and use it as a catalyst to improve our lives, our families, our communities, our societies, our cultures, our countries, and our world. I hope I will do that. And I hope you will too. #heber #exhaustedfromallofit #normal #stayathome #socialdistancing #quarantine #fear #hope #bethechange #holdontothegood #gratitude #mentalillness #mentalhealth #mentalhealthawareness #mentalhealthawarenessmonth #mentalhealthinthetimeofcorona #coronavirus #covid19 #corona2020 #letsbereal #31in31at31 #agamutofgrey #lifeisbeautiful #may2020 5.22.20

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...