Sunday, May 24, 2020

Suicide is Not a Crime 5.24.20

Mental Health Awareness Month Day 24.

People don’t commit suicide. They die by suicide.

I’m too tired to think or write or be inspired, so I pulled this from my list of 31.

People don’t commit a car accident. People don’t commit cancer. People don’t commit heart disease. People don’t commit old age. People don’t commit a stroke. People don’t commit diabetes. People don’t commit Alzheimer’s. And people don’t commit suicide.

Maybe you think the word choice doesn’t matter when talking about suicide, but it does. As long as people think suicide is a crime, those who die by suicide will continue to be misunderstood and others will continue to die by suicide.

Those who choose to take their lives aren’t criminals. They are suffering. They are overwhelmed. There are probably mental health issues. They are incapable of getting the help they need and deserve. And they die by suicide.

We need to stop being afraid of talking about suicide. I also think it does anyone who dies by suicide a disservice to keep it from others that they took their life. Who is that helping by keeping that a secret? That just adds to the stigma and the shame of suicide and mental illness.

People die by suicide. And we need to be able to talk about suicide honestly and openly. #heber #suicide #diebysuicide #nobodycommitssuicide #letstalkaboutsuicide #behonest #beopen #mentalillness #mentalhealth #mentalhealthawareness #mentalhealthawarenessmonth #mentalhealthinthetimeofcorona #coronavirus #covid19 #corona2020 #letsbereal #31in31at31 #agamutofgrey #lifeisbeautiful #may2020 5.24.20

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...