Monday, May 11, 2020

Acceptance of My Mental Illness is Key to Getting Better 5.3.20

Mental Health Awareness Month Day 3!
Acceptance of my mental illness is key to getting better and feeling better.
Over 2 years ago, I posted publicly that I have depression. It felt like such a relief to tell people. But I think more so, it helped me to accept myself, mental illness included.
I've had depression since I was a teenager. Early on as an adult, I realized I would probably always have depression. But I hated that. I didn't want to have depression forever. I wanted it to go away. I wanted to be free from mental illness. And
I hated myself for having depression.
I spent years and years trying to hide my depression from the world. I painted on a smile when I wanted to cry. I forced myself to be social and go to events when all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball. I told people I was good when I was not okay. I told them everything was fine when I was thinking about suicide.
I wouldn't say I ever became a master mask wearer. I've never been a good liar or a good faker. The people who know me well can almost always tell when I put on a facade. I was never a fan of pretending to be something I wasn't.
I feel freer. I feel more myself. I feel more genuine. That's not to say I never fake it anymore. There are times when I feel less than great, but I don't want to dwell on feeling crappy so I try to be okay. The difference is I have accepted who I am. And depression is a piece of me. And that is okay.
It was an alright day. But I didn't brush my hair or shower. I'm okay with that. I still journaled and wrote, which makes today a win. And I was enough today despite not feeling my best. #heber #depression#mentalhealthawareness #mentalhealthawarenessmonth#mentalhealthinthetimeofcorona #letsbereal #31in31at31 #acceptance#iamenough #iacceptmyself #agamutofgrey #lifeisbeautiful #may20205.3.20

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...