Monday, May 18, 2020

Dreams Are Made from Intention 5.18.20

Mental Health Awareness Month Day 18.

If I am not intentional about how I think, what I say, what I do, and how I live my life, I will become someone I never wanted to be.

My biggest fear has always been becoming like my parents. There is nothing I am more afraid of than ending up like them. As a teenager, I thought it would be fairly easy to not be like them. When I moved out at 18, I really thought just leaving the dysfunctional home I had grown up in would be enough to “fix” me. But my eyes were opened during my freshman year at BYU-I. 

Now 13 years later, my eyes are STILL being opened to the fact that healing from an abusive and dysfunctional home doesn’t happen overnight. Suddenly I have realized that if I am not intentional with my life, the default setting in me is to be like my mom and dad. Even though I learned that the way they lived wasn’t healthy or “normal”, their patterns and behavior are ingrained in me because they were my parents. I grew up in their house. I don’t want to be like them, but parts of them are inside me.

It’s easy to keep doing things the way they’ve always been done. What’s hard is change. Doing something different. Thinking outside the box. Breaking the cycle. Ending the abuse, the trauma, the neglect. Because change requires awareness, consciousness, intention. You can’t just tune out. You can’t ignore or avoid or numb. You have to lean in. You have to think. You have to intentionally choose and act.

Being intentional doesn’t mean you have to have things all figured out. It doesn’t mean to have to change everything right now. It just means that each small decision has a purpose. Because no matter what you do, time is going to pass and you will walk down a path. Do you want to choose that road? Or do you want it to be chosen for you? That is intention. Choosing and acting with purpose. Letting things happen to you is fine as long as you surrender your right to complain. Because you don’t deserve to complain if you are not actively doing something to change what you don’t like. Or if you want to be miserable, that is a sure fire way of getting there.

Intention can be the difference between ending up where we don’t want to be and ending up in a place we had only dreamed of. #heber #intention #change #youhavethepower #breakthecycle #mentalillness #mentalhealth #mentalhealthawareness #mentalhealthawarenessmonth #mentalhealthinthetimeofcorona #coronavirus #covid19 #corona2020 #letsbereal #31in31at31 #agamutofgrey #lifeisbeautiful #may2020 5.18.20

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...