Sunday, May 17, 2020

Less Is More 5.17.20

Mental Health Awareness Month Day 17.

Less is more.

There are countless ways this phrase can be applied. I’m only going to address a few of them.  

As a child, I don’t remember having much. But I never worried about what I would wear, where I would sleep, or what I would eat. My needs were met. I am grateful to my dad for ensuring that.

As an adult, I have mostly had my needs met. Until last year when things unraveled. When you have everything you need and even things you want, you begin to think that some of those wants are necessities. But when you’re forced to give up those “necessities”, you are quickly reminded you don’t actually need them. You can live without them, although you became accustomed to living with them. So now it’s painful to live without them. Or you kinda get used to not having them anymore and you realize you really can live without them.

During both of my hospitalizations (for suicidal ideation), there was a laundry list of things you could NOT bring or have with you. No phone, no laptop, no laces (not in your shoes, hoodies, or anything else), no keys, no debit/credit cards, and no bags of any kind just to name a few. The second time I went, I had a better idea of what to leave at home. But even then, I forgot that my journal and pen had to be checked in and out as did my shampoo and conditioner because it had alcohol in it. Let me tell you, I learned to live with VERY little while I was there.

Now we are all learning to do with less as we face this global pandemic. Less human interaction, less going places, less traveling, less appointments, less work, less plans, less amusement, less entertainment, less hobbies, etc. You get the picture. I recognize in some ways there has been more, but overall less.

Through all of these experiences, I just keep coming to the conclusion that less really is more. With less, I become even more grateful for all that I DO have. With less, I realize what is most important. With less, I become content with what I have instead of constantly wishing for more. With less, I focus more on people instead of things. With less, everything just seems to be simpler.

I am not saying that you can’t ever have or want more or that having or wanting more makes you a bad person. I’m just saying that sometimes we get caught up in all the things. And when we have less things, we can see life a little bit more clearly. 

It has been hell to lose my financial independence. I felt incredibly restricted while I was hospitalized. And these last two months of being essentially quarantined have been rough. But it has all made me reprioritize and focus on what matters most to me. For that I’m grateful. To have had the time to slow down and rethink my life. It is shaping me into a better version of myself. #heber #lessismore #whatmattersmost #reprioritize #refocus #unraveling #mentalillness #mentalhealth #mentalhealthawareness #mentalhealthawarenessmonth #mentalhealthinthetimeofcorona #coronavirus #covid19 #corona2020 #letsbereal #31in31at31 #agamutofgrey #lifeisbeautiful #may2020 5.17.20

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...