Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Temple Conf tom!/Bombing Memorial

Hey Everyone,
I have 13 minutes and counting! Sorry! I wanted to e-mail the pics from the bombing memorial. Today Hermana Xiques and I went to the Oklahoma City National Bombing Memorial. It was awesome! It is so beautiful, and I love how well they have captured and remembered that event and the lives that were lost. It feels like such a sacred place, and I definitely felt something there. I also shed a few tears. You can just go visit the grounds, but to go inside it's $10. The $10 is worth it in my opinion. You hear recording of the bomb going off, you watch the news footage, and hear stories of survivors. It's amazing! I didn't know a lot of things about this event. One being that it wasn't the first act of terrorism. There were LOTS of things I didn't know, and I can't even remember everything. But I want to go back some day with Corey and later with my future family when my kids are older. In my opinion, I think kids should have to be at least 12 to go inside. There were at least two groups from schools and the kids just went through it way fast, and I don't think they appreciate it as much. We were there for 3 1/2 hours. (That's why I'm e-mailing so late!) And that wasn't enough time to read an enjoy everything. We could have easily spent all day there.

As for the work... all is well here! We set a baptismal date with Miguel Tepaz last Friday I think, for May 30. We're WAY excited! Also, I found out that one of the investigators in the south is getting baptized, Don Chepe (Jose Martinez). He had many dates, but he's FINALLY getting baptized this Saturday, and I get to go! I'm so excited I'll be able to be there. He was never my investigator, but I feel like I knew him as if he was my investigator! He's awesome!

Tornadoes... so it's definitely tornado weather in OK. And we had two warnings (the sirens went off and all) last week. One was last Monday, a week ago, and the other was Sunday. Right after church we were told to stay in the building, and sure enough we heard the sirens. Everyone took refuge in the basement, I didn't know churches had basements, and us missionaries stood at the doors watching this crazy weather. Again, the tornado passed us, but the rain and wind was CRAZY! Oh, and Sister Xiques and I have seen multiple windshields on cars that were cracked or damaged.

But don't worry about me. I'm safe, and I know I'll be fine. I also heard that where we are at in the north of the city, tornadoes don't tend to ever hit here. But I'm right next to Bethany and Warr Acres in OK City, if you want my direct location to "check on me."

Temple conference is tomorrow, and I'm SO excited! It's going to be nice to go to the temple and see President Gee and everyone!

Sorry this was way short! I love you all!

Oh, and Corey wasn't transferred. He's still in Yonago, but he got a new comp, Elder Muraoka. Oh, and he found out that he will be in the Kobe Mission. This is his last transfer in the "Hiroshima" mission.

Gotta run!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...