Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Hey Everyone,
So, I'm now in the north of Oklahoma City, in the north west part, which includes Warr Acres & Bethany. Before I was in the south east of the city, Del City, Midwest City, and Moore. Now I'm in the opposite corner of the city. I LOVE it here! Wow! I was sad to leave the south because it was my first and only area I've been in, and I didn't want to leave all those people. But I already love it here in the north. I love our investigators, members, and everyone! I'm still meeting people and getting to know my way around. But I love it!

Hermana Xiques is AWESOME! I love her! She's from Orange County, CA, so that means after the mission we won't be too far away from each other. She's 25. She already finished school with a bachelor's in criminal justice. Before the mission she worked with the probation department. After the mission she wants to be a sociology teacher I believe. She is native spanish speaker, which is a HUGE blessing! My spanish is fine, but it's only "fine." I want to improve and perfect it so much, and I'm so grateful to at least have 6 weeks to do so. Last transfer was her first transfer, so this is only her second transfer. But she's seems like the senior companion and like she's been out for months. I'm grateful for that because the load feels evenly balanced between us.

This past Sunday was great! It was fast and testimony meeting, and I bore my testimony. Again, I wasn't planning on it, but I did. I think I might just make it a goal to do that every month. My spanish is to the point where I can say what I want, and I don't really have to think too hard. It never ceases to amaze me that I can speak, read, and understand another language. It's such a blessing! I'm excited for after the mission when I can continue to use spanish as a teacher!

Sorry this is so impersonal, but Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers! You all have had such a powerful impact on my life, and I owe a lot to you and the things you've taught me. Thank you for example! I know your children also appreciate you and look to you as an example, even if you think otherwise!

So my new district- Elder Bass is district leader (I have heard LOTS about him because many of the missionaries I've served around him had served with him or were his comp. I'm excited to get to know him!), and his comp is Elder Linford, I think this is his third transfer. Then the other two elders are Elder Romero (yes, I already served around him in the south, so I'm excited to be serving with a familiar face.) and Elder Whipple (this is his second transfer). Anyway, we have an AWESOME district! I'm excited for this transfer! It's going to be great! Half of them are brand new, and half of us are old, in the mission anyway.

What else??? Umm... Corey has asked me not to forward his e-mails any more. But all is well with him. They just had zone conf, and he's still zone leader. I think transfers for him are next week, but I won't know until then whether or not he gets transferred.

We have temple conference this transfer. They are just doing it by individual zones, so the only missionary I know I'll see that I already know is Sister Glenn. Aside from that, I think every missionary I've served around is in a different zone. Oh, Elder Reed is AP, and he was my district leader for two transfers, so that's exciting!

Yesterday we went tracting, and we ran into this guy named Jacob. He wants to live with his family for eternity, but doesn't believe he can. We bore testimony to him, but he says we don't know and that we have blind faith. As much as he kept telling me I didn't know, I know that I KNOW without a doubt that this church is true and families can be together forever. He thinks that we're all here by coincidence and that we're going back to nothing after this life. How sad! I'm so grateful for my knowledge of the gospel!

Gotta go... 6 minutes. I'm excited to call home on Sunday! Love you all!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...