Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Elder Bednar Mission Conference

Hey Everyone,
Yesterday was probably the best day of my mission! It was amazing! I wish I could write you every detail, but we had mission conference with Elder David A. Bednar (one of the members of the quorum of the 12 apostles). He didn't have a talk prepared for us. He just had us read two talks before he came, and then yesterday we had a discussion about those talks - what we learned. Then he turned it into question and answer session. It was SO amazing! Since I'm in the south of the city, I also got the opportunity to see him on Sunday night as the Oklahoma City South Stake. We had 2 investigators there: Luz and the wife of a member (Hna. Coronado). It was great too!

One thing that really hit me, and that I want to share with you is what he said about agency. He said in the church culture (not the doctrines or principles, but theories we've concluded) that agency is choosing between right and wrong. But he said really agency is the power and capacity of independent action. We only have agency to choose God. Another thing he said regarding agency that I really liked a lot was that once we are baptized we no longer have the option of going to church or obeying the Word of Wisdom, etc. After you have entered into a covenant with God, specifically baptism, you have covenanted that you're going to choose Him. Therefore when you disobey the commandments, not going to church, not living the Word of Wisdom, etc, you are breaking your covenant. So breaking the commandments is not an option once we are baptized. He related it to students going to BYU-I breaking the honor code. Because you sign your application after reading the honor code, knowing that you are promising to live the honor code. So, once you sign the application, you no longer have the choice to obey the honor code. He also applied it to us as missionaries when we accept our call. Once we accept our call, sleeping in, going to bed late, anything that isn't following the missionary handbook, is breaking our promise, and it's not an option to do anything but obey.

I really liked that a lot. I hope you do too. I wish I could explain it better, but that's pretty much what he said. I did ask him a question myself. It was pretty neat to have an apostle, teaching me one on one. Sure, he was talking to everyone else, but he was looking at me and specifically teaching me.

So we sat and listened to Elder Bednar answer questions and teach us by the spirit for 3 hours. It felt so short! When it was 1pm, it didn't feel like it had been 3 hours. It felt like we had just gotten there. Also, after the closing prayer, we all got to shake his hand. Then each zone took a picture with Elder Bednar, President Gee, and Sister Gee. That was pretty sweet!

Also, yesterday was so great because the ENTIRE mission was together. The closest I've been to seeing everyone was Temple Mission Conference in December, when I got to see half of the mission. I got to see missionaries that got transferred out of my area after my first transfer like Elder Lewis & Sister Lamb, and missionaries who got transferred after last transfer like Elder Origer. And I also got to see a bunch of other missionaries that I more or less know because of transfers, those I flew in with, or whatever. Like Hermana Alas and Hermana Tucker! It was so fun to see all these people that I've said bye to. I still didn't felt complete though because Elder Torres, Elder Scott, Sister Whiting, Sister Thaxton, & Elder Sivertsen, I'm probably forgetting someone, but missionaries have finished their missions since I've been here. But after yesterday I was just thinking how great mission reunions will be! (I know that's a long time from now, and I'm not getting "trunky." I was just thinking about it.) Anyway, it was SO wonderful to be together as a mission!

Honestly, last week really wasn't that great. I think that our numbers were lower last week than they've been in a while. And I know, it's not about the numbers, but they really are a good indicator of how the work is going. Last week just wasn't that great. We've dropped a few people, 90% of our appts fell through, and we haven't had a lot of success finding new people to teach. But I did realize last week that we need to build up the area again. Hermana Whiting and Hermana Alas worked really hard to get the area where it was. I mean, last transfer we had 11 investigators at church two weeks in a row. That doesn't just come out of nowhere. So, anyway, that means we need to tract a lot and get referrals and follow-up on potentials. Hopefully, we can build the area back up in the next three weeks or so.

I really can't remember much of anything besides Elder Bednar being here. Sorry I don't have news about anything. Luz.... we haven't been able to catch her home. Alma... we didn't visit her at all last week and we found out from Hna. Alas that she actually doesn't believe in the BOM. We've called her every day, but she hasn't answered the phone or called us back. Guillermo... we can't ever find him home.

I can't believe this transfer is halfway over! It really has gone by fast! Sister Whiting was right, time does start to go by faster and faster. I can't believe I'll hit 6 months soon!

Oh, we went bowling this morning. Our district with the APs. It was fun! I learned I can't bowl and when others try to teach me how I'm stubborn and prideful and don't want help or correction. Haha! We're going to go play volleyball now.

Well, I love you all! I hope all is well! Thanks for your prayers, support, and everything!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

PS I didn't hear from Corey this week. It just hit me that maybe he got transferred, but I'm not sure.
PSS Also, if you send an e-mail back to my gmail account (those of you who are getting the fwd of this, could you please include your mailing address so when Shelly forwards me the e-mail I can write you back snail mail. Thanks!)

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...