Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The boy who cried wolf/the first & last bike ride of my mission

Hey Everyone,
Wow! It's been a crazy week! First of all we had a tornado siren go off last Tuesday night, and then we found out it wasn't real. They were just testing it. I guess that's what it said on the news, but since we don't/can't watch the news we had no idea. Can you say the boy who cried wolf???

Also, Miguel's baptismal date has been changed due to the fact that they're rededicating our church building this Sunday. So he'll be baptized June 6. We're so excited and so is he!

We've met some awesome people and had some awesome experiences! I wish I had time to tell you the details! We found a couple less actives the other day, and we've run into people who in the past had been taught by missionaries. I hope that they'll be ready this time around to accept the gospel and be baptized, but if not, I know our work is not in vein.

Don Chepe didn't get baptized this past Saturday. :( I was SO bummed to hear that when Elder Reed, one of the APs, called Friday night to tell us it wouldn't be happening. Something happened to his son, Chepe (Jose-in his 20s). I got to him Saturday night anyway though. We talked, and he still wants to be baptized, but he doesn't know when. Anyway, please keep the two of them in your prayers. Even though I never taught them, they are very dear to me.

You will never guess what Hermana Xiques and I did yesterday. We thought we'd finally use our bikes and see what it's like to be an elder. We rode them from our apt to a less active's house (Ligia Barona). The elders said they think it's about 3 miles there. I honestly don't know. It didn't feel that far to me. We were so excited to ride our bikes finally! We get outside, and we are about to leave the parking lot when we realize we should probably put shorts on because we were wearing skirts. So we go back inside, and again leave. We hadn't even gone like 5 blocks when Hermana Xiques was just like, okay, this isn't fun any more. Haha! Man, we were SO pathetic! We were so dead tired by the time we got there! Ligia fed us and then we shared a message and did some service-raked leaves. We decided to ride home in our service clothes. When we got back on the bikes to leave, I didn't think I'd make it home. We were both SO sore and so out of shape! Wow! We don't know how the elders do it!

We told the elders (Elder Bass, Elder Linford, Elder Whipple, and Elder Romero) that we rode our bikes, and they were proud of us, but they laughed a lot. Then they told us that the first two weeks (for those of you future elders, maybe you should close your eyes and not read this part) you are SO sore and it's not fun at all. But I guess after that you get used to it. We are SO grateful we have a car, and I don't know if we'll go back to bikes ever.

Zone conference was AWESOME! The temple was WONDERFUL! It was President Gee's last zone conference, well he had 3 others after ours (today and tomorrow they will finish), but he talked about the transition between him and the new mission president, President Taylor. He told us to let him and Sister Gee be the grandparents. It's going to be hard to say bye, but we'll be fine. President Taylor comes on June 29, the same days the Gee's will leave & return to Rexburg, ID

I didn't hear from Corey, but I'm sure he's fine. He too, will have a new mission president at the end of this transfer.

I love you all!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...