Sunday, November 21, 2021

Swipe Left, Repeat

If the goal of dating apps is to find a potential mate, why does swiping left seem to be the rule while swiping right seems to be the exception? Is it really so hard to find someone we like?

Bad pics.

Any kind of facial hair. Swipe left. Cat. Swipe left. Dog. Swipe left. That photo looks like it was taken 20 years ago. Swipe left. Gym selfie. Swipe left. Car selfie. Swipe left. Laying in bed or on the couch. Swipe left. Bathroom selfie. Swipe left. Zero photos show their entire face. (Sunglasses, masks, snow goggles, etc.) Swipe left. Zero photos of their entire body. Swipe left. Zero photos of them alone, so which one are they? Swipe left.

If their pictures actually look decent, you think he can't be real.

But if I met these men in real life, their personality and their voice would speak volumes more of who they are than any photo of them could. And I would probably be interested in more of them, than the few I find online.

Yet we all judge the photos presented to us when deciding whether or not to swipe right because that's what we have to go off of. It is a two-dimensional snapshot of someone. 

Then we delete all the dating apps and stop our never-ending search for our ideal mate because it seems like an exhausting, fruitless cause. But don't worry, we redownload them when it seems like we might truly end up alone forever. And the vicious cycle loops over and over.

What's the answer? Maybe we just need to stop sitting home alone on our phones and leave our houses and meet people in real life.  


No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...