Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day, after the fact...

Hey Everyone,
Yeah, like my brother, I'm not big on Valentine's Day. It came and went. I did get a package from my grandma, which was very unexpected and I was happy to get it, and Hna. Martinez's family, doorbell-ditched us Saturday night and left Valentine's day goodies. But yeah, not a fan of that holiday, glad we can move on.

So, it snowed two or three days last week, and we tracted in it. It didn't stick, but still. It snowed on Sunday, and it was sticking to everything but the roads, but by the time we were out of church it was all melted and the sun had come out, but it was still cold.

Man, I have SO much I want to tell y'all (yes, that's an Okie thing), but I really gotta run.
Side note - Tasha, Ellis, and those who have sent replies back to my gmail account, Shelly forwarded those onto me, and I would love to write you, but I don't have your address. (Ellis, I have yours.) So send it to my gmail account and Shelly can forward me your physical address for me to write you a letter.

Corey's mission is closing in July. :( Sad day! I cried when I read his e-mail. It's pretty sad, but he's a trooper.

I was asked to play the piano in sac mt this past Sunday, and that was interesting. I can't play perfectly, but I guess I can play well enough that they will ask me when they are desperate. Anyway, yeah I guess I'm developing that talent while being here in the mission... kind of anyway.

Maybe y'all have heard, but Elder Bednar is coming to OKC, our stake! He's coming next weekend and speaking to the stake Sunday evening, then we're having a mission conference with him on Monday, all the missionaries. I'm pretty excited! President Gee used to be at BYU-I when Elder Bednar was president, so they're pretty close. Anyway, that will be cool.

As for the work... I felt like last week was terrible, but then we did numbers and we met almost all of our goals for the week, which NEVER happens. We didn't have ANY investigators at church though, which was depressing. Well, Haiden and Byron showed up at the beginning of Sunday School, so that was AWESOME. Unfortunately, for numbers we can only count it if they're there for the sacrament.

Luz told us some news that at first was kind of devastating. She wasn't at church. (This is two Sunday's in a row now.) We asked why, and she just broke into tears. (She's gotten emotional on more than one occasion when we've visited her, but usually for happy reasons.) Anyway, this was not good. She told us she has to move out and leave as soon as possible. To me, I thought, this means I have to say bye right now, and I'll never see her again, etc. But then as we kept talking, she is not moving this week, but as soon as she can. And when she moves shes plans on staying close, so she can have Pedro's kids over often. Anyway, the more I thought about it, the happier I became because I realized that this was an answer to her/our prayers/fast. We taught the law of chastity to her, and she wanted to live it right then, but she felt she couldn't abandon the kids. And Pedro is still going through divorce, so they can't just get married. But now, she has for sure decided to move out. This means she can get baptized sooner probably because she will be living the law of chastity and it will be easier for her to stop smoking, because right now she lives with Pedro who always smokes. Anyway, pray for her. She hopefully is coming on Sunday night to hear Elder Bednar, which will be awesome!

Alma... well, we told her if she didn't keep her commitments we were going to have to quit coming over, which honestly I don't want to do. But I don't know what else we can do. Sister Gee came with us last Tuesday, and we had an awesome lesson. Then we taught Alma two other times, but I've realized that she doesn't really understand a lot of the things we teach. Like she is wondering why she needs to be baptized again. (We explained because only our church has the authority.) Anyway... it's really sad with her. I love her and her family so much, and I wish I could help her. But all I can do is teach her, be an example, and pray for her. She hasn't been coming to church. I know that she wants it, but I just don't know how badly.

What else? Oh, we went to the temple this morning, Hna. Martinez and I. It was nice. I kind of felt like I was going for the first time since I haven't been since the beginning of December. But I love the temple! I wish everyone understood how important it is to go and went regularly.

We taught Javier on Friday and extended the commitment to be baptized. He said YES! But we didn't set a date, though we tried. Also, he didn't come to church, and he's only available for us to teach him on Friday nights. Hopefully, more time opens up so we can teach him more than once a week. He told us when we got there that he had a question, but he wanted to wait to ask. When we asked if he wanted to be baptized, he said that was his question. Man, he's GOLDEN! He just needs to come to church!

Oh, one last thing... supposedly there is supposed to be a big snow/ice storm next weekend, the weekend Elder Bednar is here. It's supposed to be worse than this past Christmas and worse than the way bad ice storm they had in Dec 07. Anyway, I'm hoping it's not true, but we'll see.

Really, we gotta run! But I love you all! Thanks for everything... letters, prayers, support, etc!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...