Tuesday, October 27, 2009

7 semanas tomorrow, 2 mas!

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for everyone that wrote me this week, Bishop Smith, Boo, Caitlin Hendrickson, Rhonda, Sarah Price, and Sonya. I think that was everyone. I got 4 dearelders on Friday I think it was, and I was totally shocked and so happy to feel so loved and hear from you! Thank you!

Last week's devo speaker was Lynn G. Robbins, who spoke on the importance of planning. He pointed out that if God planned the creation of the earth how much more important is it for each of us to plan. I loved his talk!

Last Wednesday I got to host for the first time! That just means I got to show the new sisters around. I hosted two sisters, both who I knew. Sister Varner and Sister Wegelin. So good to see them! Sister Varner is going to Houston, TX Spanish speaking and Sister Wegelin is going to Ogden, UT. I know them both from SD. Also, Sister Varner's mission announcement was in the Oct Seagull in SD with mine. I also got three roommates. So, my room is full again. Sister Tittle going to LA, CA, Sister Bounds, and Sister Tingey. I don't remember where they're going.

Relief Society every Sunday is combined with all of the sisters in the MTC. We have now had the opportunity to hear from Sister Liffereth and Sister Matsumori who I believe are both in the primary general presidency of the church. What an awesome opportunity we have in the MTC to hear from general authorities!

I continue to meet more and more missionaries going to Japan or from Japan. It makes me so happy! I actually just met an elder the other day who got here last Wednesday going to Hiroshima, but I forget his name. Anyway, so fun! Oh, and on Saturday I ran into one of Corey's old teachers, and Sunday I ran into a couple members of his branch presidency. They all loved him and can't believe he's already been in Japan 6 months. I have to say out of everyone, I miss Corey the most. I love him so much!

I'm pretty sure I leave Tuesday, Nov. 10, which means that next Tuesday is my last p-day until I'm in Oklahoma. (If everything is good with my foot. I should be getting it x-rayed next week to see if it's healing. Ironically, my left ankle, that I sprained, hurts more often than my right foot, that's supposedly refractured or another fracture. I still have the boot on.)

Swine flu is running rampant. Three elders in my zone have been quaranteened (sp?) because they have swine flu, two of them are district leaders, so temporary DL have had to be assigned. Nobody in my district is sick, not yet anyway. And I sister who was supposed to leave today who I always see has been quaranteened and delayed due to swine flu. Sad! :(

Today it snowed for the first time! :) At first I was really bummed, but I became happy very quickly thinking, I grew up in SD, so I never lived in snow until BYU-I. Then I realized that I'll have my first white Christmas ever, and that made me SO happy. I know, it's the little things that make my day. Oh, and the snow isn't sticking, just in case you were wondering.

I heard about many engagements and mission calls back home! Congrats all of you! Sorry this is SO impersonal! I would love to write everyone individually, but I can't. Congrats Amber Hendrickson, Justin Jesperson and Haley Skiff on engagements, and David Overson and Lindsey Reas on mission calls! I'm so happy for you all! I wish I could be home to celebrate with you all, but I'll see you in 18 months- 3 years!

Every Sunday, we have the opportunity to watch church films. They show 4 different ones every week. Some are talks and some are movies. This past Sunday, they showed Legacy. Let me tell you how funny it is to watch a movie with the tiniest bit of romance in it with a bunch of single elders and sisters. The elders always laugh during the kisses in the movie. Oh, it's hilarious!

Yesterday, I got to see my dad's Aunt Dorothy. She works in the TRC, and she's volunteered here for 12 years! She is so sweet! I love her so much! I wish I knew her better! It was so good to see her!

I believe that my district is the oldest district in our zone, which means we are the next to leave. It's not real to me that I'm leaving so soon! Ah! I'm so excited though! I really do feel ready to teach and get into the field, but I love the MTC tons and will miss it a lot!

My spanish is okay. It's probably better than I will admit, but I've taught in spanish, and I feel okay about speaking. It is frustrating sometimes because I feel like I can't fully express myself, and I want to give up. I don't know how Corey stayed so positive and optimistic about the whole thing. I know why I'm not learning Japanese! I don't have the patience. I can barely handle spanish. Honestly, it's really not that difficult. I just need to practice. And I hate making mistakes, but that's how you learn. I can't believe by the time I come home I'll be fluent. I can't even imagine that will really happen.

Okay, I gotta write Corey! But I love you all so much! Thank you for all your love, prayers, support, and letters! I love hearing from you! I'm sorry I don't have time to write you all personally. Please know I think of you often and wish I had time to write to you all!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...