Saturday, March 14, 2009

Perspective...

I feel like it's been an eternity since I updated this thing, but it hasn't. Hehe! I guess that means time is flying by! Or not. :/

I had a pretty good week compared to previous ones recently. Last night there was a YSA dodgeball tournament. I was skeptical about it when I first heard about it, though I planned to go. Well, I ended up playing, and it was a blast! I've never played dodgeball so much in my life until these last couple of months. It can be rather fun!

Today was my dad's 64th birthday. Wow! He's old! Just kidding! I never know what to do for my parents' birthdays. They are exactly a week apart, and usually right before Corey asks if I want to go in on a gift with him. But this year, Corey wasn't around to bring it up or help me out. I decided to bake my dad a cake. It may not sound like much, and it's not, but I HATE cooking, baking, etc. My poor husband some day! (Hopefully, I will find a desire to cook by then. :) ) So, I put the cake in the oven. Then I was going to go organize and clean my room, but I was like, why don't I clean the kitchen for dad? He would love it! I got to work, and there was a lot to be done!

I was kind of in a bummed out mood today. Last night was fun, but I came home thinking about things that have been on my mind for a while, and I just felt bummed. This morning I was supposed to work, but they told me not to come in. I was grateful to have the day off, even though I could really use the money to pay for my MesoAmerica trip. I had all day to myself. I really didn't want to bake a cake, much less clean the kitchen. But I just did it anyway.

I cleaned up until I left for the temple, and I still wasn't finished. The temple was awesome! The temple president got to speak to our group, and his message was powerful. While he spoke, I thought about how I felt. I felt at peace. It never ceases to amaze me that whenever I go to the temple, I feel peace, no matter what is going on in my life. All those things I was thinking about last night were no longer worrying me.

After the temple, I stopped at the store. I had to get one thing, and I really didn't want to go. So, I made it a point to get in and get out. In my rush to be out of the store, I thought I saw someone I knew, but I passed so quickly that I couldn't be sure. It hit me a couple seconds later who it might be, and I hadn't seen this person in forever. Curiosity got the better of me, and I casually turned around and slowed down. I think it was who I thought it was. I smiled, and he just looked at me like, I'm sorry, I can't return a smile; I'm not happy. Then I went on with what I had come for.

This really hit me. I again thought about how I felt. I was happy, even though it seems that the world is falling apart. I thought about this man I saw. It's almost like I could feel pain and heartache emanating from his countenance. And I wished I could fix his situation. I wished I could give him the joy I felt.

I'm just grateful for everything I have. Even my trials and the rough times in my life. If I never had a hard time, I could never feel such sweet joy and peace. I'm grateful for the temple, and the comfort and peace it brings. Service is truly uplifting. I wish I could do more for more people. I wish I could give others the joy that the gospel has brought to my life. We are living in the last days. I know that. Things are rough, people are losing their jobs, the economy seems to be failing us, and yet I am not worried. The only reason I am at peace and can find joy each day is because of the gospel.

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...