Tuesday, September 22, 2009

two weeks tomorrow!

Hey Everyone, 
So I have 20 minutes to write a week's worth of happenings!  So little time!  P-day was crazy today!  I didn't get the privledge of 2 p-days in a row, and I've been stressed all day because I have SO much to do!  And p-day is supposed to be over in about an hour.  But I have choir in like 30 minutes.  I need to finish letters, laundry, get in church clothes.  Life here is so busy!  
Well, this past week SO much has happened!  Last Tuesday we got to hear from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland for our MTC Devotional.  It was AMAZING! I took like 6 pages of notes!  I wish you had all been there to hear it.  I've never written so fast in my life.  I wanted to write everything he said, but obviously I wasn't able to.  It was amazing!  
Last Friday, I sprained my ankle playing volleyball.  Yes, I fell victim to being injured during gym time in the gym.  It hurt so bad, but I spiked the ball, and it made it over the net!  I was SO proud.  I had jumped up to hit it with my left hand, and I came back down and rolled my left ankle.  I couldn't get up.  It was not fun.  The funny thing is another elder in my district broke his right foot playing volleyball last Monday, just over a week ago.  AND one of the physical trainers working in the gym Friday, told us right before we prayed, one of you will probably sprain your ankle today.  When I got into the training room he apologized for jinxing me.  He felt so bad.    
I ended up being on crutches all day Friday, and Saturday I could not do crutches again.  My body was SO sore from walking with crutches.  My foot really hurt though, and I couldn't really walk on it.  But a miraculous thing happened...after icing it Saturday before lunch, I could walk on it without it being in too much pain.  And now, it's virtually all the way healed.  I have it wrapped.  No cast or boot!  Anyway... enough about that.  
I met an elder, Elder Garry, who will leave around Oct 13 to go to Corey's mission, Hiroshima, Japan.  It's so fun that I know who's going to Japan.  I can tell the difference in their plaques since I know what Corey's looks like.  Anyway, this elder is blonde hair and blue eyes, so Corey won't be the only one.  Actually, his whole district usually eats meals at the table right by ours, so I always see them.  Kind of fun!   
Oh, the elder on crutches with the broken foot, Elder Weir, is from Lindon, Utah, and knows my cousin, Michael Goodrich.  What a small world!    
I ran into one of my BCs from EFY this summer, Erin Tueller.  She's a teacher here, and it was so fun to see her.  I didn't have my camera with me, so we didn't get a pic, but hopefully I'll run into her again and get a pic with her.  Also, one of my favorite things here is the RC, the referral center.  Because you get to talk to real people interested in the church.  I talked to this guy on the phone last Thursday, Joe King from North Carolina.  He was telling me all about his problems.  He has bipolar depression.  I was able to relate to him because of all of the depression in my family.  He calls this number often when he's sad, and he says every time he calls whoever he talks to has been through the same thing he's going through.  He said, God must be watching out for me.  I told him that's true.  He has met with the missionaries TONS!  He has a Bible and a triple combination.  I asked what's stopping him from being baptized, and he said fear.  First I explained how faith casts out fear.  Then, I commited him over the phone to call the missionaries and tell them he wants to be baptized.  Anyway, I'm going to try to find out if he actually called.  But that was such a neat experience!  
Thank you for all your prayers and support, and for those who have written letters and dearelders.  I love mail!  I can't even tell you!  It's so good to hear about what's going on with you all!  
I have pictures printed, but I need to send them home.  Hopefully I'll do that soon.  
Okay, I gotta run, but I love you all!  Just a reminder my new mailbox number is 181, and my MTC code and departure date is OK-OKL 1109.   
Love, Hermana Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...