Monday, September 14, 2009

first 5 days

Hey Guys,
First of all, please don't pass out my e-mail address! Thank you!

The first few days have been great! I love the MTC! My companion's name is Hermana Tucker. She's from Ogden, UT, and we're both going to OK City, OK Spanish speaking. My district is awesome! There are 11 of us, 4 are hermanas. We are the only sisters in our whole zone/branch. The four of us are all in the same dorm.

Unfortunately, I found out I will be leaving them because I tested out of beginning spanish to intermediate. I was supposed to have found out by today when I will leave and where I'm going but still no word. That also means my box number will change, so hopefully next week I will have a different address for you guys. It's excting that I get to move up, but I'm sad to leave all of the friends that I've made. And I don't really feel that I'm that much better than them. I just tend to talk more. Hehe! Anyway...

I have seen SO many people I know! It's crazy! I have seen Elder Wolz, Elder Price (Jarom's little brother), Elder Cooper (he attended Santee 4th branch and I went to high school with his older sister), Elder Wright (He is in Tierrasanta ward. Honestly, we didn't know each other until now. I've seen him around though. He and I have gym together and we see each other sometimes during class because our classrooms are right across the hall from each other.), Elder Call (I stayed with Jen Call when I was in Rexburg. Elder Call is her little brother, and we were supposed to go to MesoAmerica together.), The Beachley's, Sister Hartvigsen (her older brother and I were in the same ward my first year at BYU-I), Elder Yergensen (this is a stretch, but he's distantly related to Sean Yergensen who is the husband of Jessica Touchet Yergensen. Jessica and I went to high school together), Sister Law ( I didn't know her, but I'd see her all the time at BYU-I), Sister Olsen (she served her mission in SD, and I used to go out with her all the time to appts and stuff. She is now teaching here in the MTC.), Sister Connolly (She and I were EFY counselors together this past summer in Rexburg. She is going to the Carlsbad, CA mission.), and I'm probably forgetting somebody!

This morning we went to the 7am session at the Provo Temple. I saw Alan Farnes in the session. He and I were EFY counselors in SLC this past summer. Crazy! I see people I know everywhere! So fun!

We eat in the cafeteria, and I love it! My favorite part is chocolate milk, although last night I ate my first meal without chocolate milk. Really, I should just drink water. But I could see how it would be super easy for missionaries to gain weight in the MTC. We have gym every day. Hermana Tucker and I usually play volleyball. On Saturday though we decided to take a leap and run a mile. I love running and I hate it at the same time. I am SO sore from running! I didn't ever work out before, mostly out of laziness, but I do love exercising. My favorite parts of my day are eating and working out. You may think it's weird. But time in the cafeteria is time when I can just relax and visit.

Spanish is going okay. We are supposed to "SYL" (speak your language) as much as possible, but I'm really bad at it. Oh well! I'll get it eventually. I can understand people speaking, but I can't really speak. But I'm not discouraged or anything. So don't worry! :)

The weather has been way nice, but it rained a little yesterday. Then today while Hermana Tucker and I were doing our personal study outside we heard thunder and saw lightning. There were two elders and a sister who "contacted" us, and during their entire message all 5 of us were distracted because of the weather. Then it started pouring when we got our sack lunches. Elder Wright, his comp (Elder Dent), Hermana Tucker and I all happened to be getting lunch at the same time today.

We will go to the temple once a week, on our p-day, which is Monday. I love p-day! It's the only day I can write letters home! I look forward to writing home! I love writing! I've written in my journal every day so far. I write in it right before I go to bed.

I have 6 minutes so I need to wrap this up! Love you all! I've received two dearelders from Grandma Dee, and one postcard from dad. The other 3 sisters have already received letters from their moms, and two of them have received packages. I love getting mail, so you should all write me.

Gotta go! Love you!

Hermana Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...