Monday, February 4, 2013

Constant Reminders of the Mission

Lately, it seems like there have been a lot of things reminding me of my days as a missionary in Oklahoma. I mean, there isn't a day that passes where I don't think of my mission, but the last few days there have been more things reminding me of the mission...

1. About a week ago, my current mission president's wife, Sister Taylor, posted in our mission group on Facebook. Part of her post read:
We are busy here planning for the 86 new missionaries we will receive in the next four or five months. Our biggest transfer so far is in March--we get about 21 extra missionaries more than the number departing. We are going from 19 to 56 sister missionaries--which we LOVE! The Lord is hastening His work and we really enjoy being a part of it. We hope to have all the new missionaries to move our complement to 216 before we go back to Utah at the end of June.
2. Last Thursday, my first mission president messaged me.
3. Friday night I got to visit an elder and a sister (who I served with on my mission) who were married over a year ago in their new place.
4. Sunday, Sister Taylor again posted in our mission group on Facebook letting us know one of the sister missionaries passed away in an accident.
5. Late last night, I received a message from a former SD missionary, telling me one of the girls in his current YSA ward received her mission to my mission also Spanish speaking, asking if I'd tell her about my mission.
6. Just while I've been writing this post, my trainer posted a pic on Facebook saying it's been 3 years since she came home from her mission.

Why are these reminders so important? Why should I remember my mission daily? To help remind me of the most important responsibility I have, which is to assist Heavenly Father in his work, "...to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39)

I am grateful for the opportunity I had to serve a mission, which changed my life. And I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven, who loves me enough to remind me of the big picture when I forget and who patiently waits for me to change when I fail to act on what I know.

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...