Monday, August 16, 2010

halfway through August already!

Hey Everyone,
I don't even know what to write. This week has felt way long and yet flown by at the same time.

We set a baptismal date with Raquel last week, but she didn't come to church on Sunday. I am worried because it's not until Sept 18, but she needs to come to church and hasn't.

Hna. Garcia, one of our less actives, was at church for the first time in months. That was awesome!

I feel like this area is going to grow and things will change, but I just have to be patient right now. Because I feel like nothing is happening and nobody is progressing.

I had the opportunity to listen to one of the 70, Elder Villareal, in two meetings-a branch leadership meeting on Saturday (for the three spanish branches here-the south, the north, and Norman) and then last night at a fireside. He is awesome! I learned a ton from him. We only went to the leadership meeting because they asked if Sister Moss could play the piano. Then last night, Hna. Coronado was going to come, but never showed up.

Anyway, he's awesome! I feel blessed for the many opportunities I've had to listen to apostles and 70s being on the mission. One thing that was cool about last night is there was a lady there who was white, but she spoke spanish (that shouldn't be such a surprise because I'm white and speak spanish...haha!). Elder Villareal asked her where she learned spanish, and she said serving a mission in Houston, TX back in 1982. Wow! I just sat there thinking, wow. She's almost been home for 20 years and she still knows spanish. It helps that she married a man from El Salvador. It just made me think how grateful I am for being able to learn spanish.

On Sunday, I translated for Astrid's brother's (Oscar) fiance, Sarah, during Sunday School and Relief Society. Translating is a lot harder than it looks. Astrid makes it look so easy. But it really takes talent to be able to listen in spanish while translating aloud to the person in english. Plus, it's weird to be talking during the whole lesson because I'm translating. But it was a good experience. It was far from perfect, but Sarah was grateful.

We went to the zoo today. It was all right. I think I would have enjoyed it better if it hadn't been so hot. It's pretty small, but we still didn't see everything. Astrid and another member, Valeria Sanchez Flores, took us. The english sisters also went, as well as two spanish elders, and two english elders.

We have zone conference on Wednesday, which I'm really looking forward to for lots of reasons-it's the first ZC we've had in a while (we didn't have it last transfer because we only have 4 a year now), there will be very different because of all of the changes that have been made, and it will be our first ZC with the Taylors. But I'm excited! It should be awesome!

Well, I love you all! Corey is doing well. He had 3 investigators at church on Sunday! That's awesome! We both appreciate all you do for both of us! Thanks!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...