Monday, August 9, 2010

11 months!

Hey Everyone,
So today is 11 months! I can't believe it! Time has gone by so fast! Corey will hit 18 months on Wednesday. He and I have about 6 months left, which is so weird!

So it's just Sister Moss and I here in the south of OKC. I would have never thought I would be one of only two spanish sisters. I really thought there would always be at least 3 of us. I have no clue what will happen next transfer. Part of me really feels like I'm only here in the south this transfer, and I'll be going back to the north next transfer, but that means that two english sisters would have to go spanish. I'm just hoping and praying Salt Lake will send us spanish sisters soon. In the meantime, I'm trying really hard to just not worry about anything because Heavenly Father knows my needs (Matthew 6:28-34) as well as Sister Moss's needs and all those here in the south we're teaching and those in the north that we were teaching. I know it will all work out.

We had no investigators at church on Sunday. :( It was way sad! BUT... two of our less actives showed up right after the passing of the sacrament. I was sitting on the stand to lead the music, and Paty and Alejandro Pecina walked in. I looked at Sister Moss with a huge smile on my face, and then tears started to well up in my eyes. I love this family so much! Before I left the south, we were visiting Paty. They have two kids, Anuar (5) and Gael (2 or 3). Anyway, since I've been back we've been visiting both Paty and Alejandro regularly. One of the first things we talked about with them since I've been back was about what they want. I was way bold, and I just said, you guys need to be praying, reading the scriptures, and going to church. There are many other things they need to be doing/not doing that they are not doing/doing, but the focus is these simple three things. I asked them if they want to live in the celestial kingdom. They both said yes, and then I asked, what are you doing so you can one day live there. They both said, nothing. Alejandro's mom passed away some years back, and I also mentioned how she is literally waiting on them to do her temple work. (Neither Paty nor Alejandro have been through the temple.) I think, it really hit them, that if they want to live with our Heavenly Father they have to do their part. We've basically just been teaching them the lessons. As a missionary, I've really that what many of the less actives need to come back to church is essentially to be reconverted. Like it's been so long, that they have forgotten what it feels like to feel the spirit, why it's so important to go to church, and what sweet peace and joy we can have if we are doing our part.

I really feel like they are progressing. They haven't been reading every night, they've only been to church once (and it was yesterday, just part of sac mtg). But I really feel like they are on their way back to the path. And it brings me great joy to watch people change their lives, even as members.

We haven't been able to visit Juan now for like 2 or 3 weeks, and I'm worried about him. But we want to set a baptismal date with him soon, and hopefully we will and he will be able to be baptized.

Hna. Coronado wasn't at church on Sunday. Her husband went out of town, and she didn't go, but she didn't come to church. But she is close too! And I really think Hno. has realized that his wife is closer than he thinks.

Susy... it's really sad because when we found her, she seemed like she could have been active. But then we found her one day smoking outside of her house, and she tried to hide it from us. She keeps telling us she'll come to church, but she hasn't. And we haven't been able to teach Jorge or Mario. I really hope that they will come around and start to change.

This work is definitely far from easy, but I know that as I am serving and teaching those I find, that I will be able to continue to change and grow into the woman Heavenly Father wants me to be. It's hard to watch people say they'll do something and not keep their word. It's hard to watch people make bad choices and continue to distance themselves from Heavenly Father. But all we can do as missionaries is invite them to come unto Christ. That's the beauty of this plan... we all have our agency, the ability to choose from right and wrong. And even when people know the right, they may still choose the wrong. But we can lead by example and pray that they might be able to accept this plan.

As hard as it is to change and to do the Lord's will, the more we recognize the spirit and follow it, the happier we will be.

I love you all, and I'm so grateful for the support and love Corey and I receive from all of you.

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...