Tuesday, April 6, 2010

now there's one less dog in Ok City

Hey Everyone,
I've had some pretty cool experiences the last week or so. I don't have time to relate them all though. I've just decided that a lot of things will just have to wait until after the mission for me to tell you all about them. But I'll tell you one...

So, the english sisters gave us a referral weeks ago for a lady named Maria Pena. I can't remember if I've mentioned her or not. Anyway, we went to contact her, and she said she wasn't interested. Then we went to check on another referral, Norma, in the same housing (they're not houses, or apts or condos, so I don't know what to call them). When we walked back passed Maria's house, she stuck her head out and said can you come back tomorrow. So we said yes, and we did, and she was there, and we taught her lesson one. It was great! Since we've taught her lesson 2. She was going to come to general conference. She doesn't have a car though, but we found her a ride. It was Sunday morning, a little before 9 and she called and said that she's going to Tulsa, to her sister's, for 2 weeks. I was SO bummed! Because the next time we taught her we were going to try to set a baptismal date. Then...

Monday comes. We went to check on that other referral, who is now an investigator, and Norma wasn't home. As we were walking to the car, I felt like I should knock on Maria's door, but I was like, she's not there. So, I kept walking and didn't knock. I know you're all wondering why I didn't just listen to the spirit. Well, because that would have been the smart thing to do. Later, we were at Luz's house, and we got a bunch of missed calls while we were there. One of them was from Maria, and we only have her home phone number, so I knew she was home. She left a voicemail saying that she decided not to go to Tulsa because it's more important to be here and read the Bible. I was SO excited! I called her back and asked if she was busy, and then we were at her house like 5 minutes later teaching her lesson 3 (the gospel of Jesus Christ-faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end). We taught her, and she wants to be baptized, but she has a few impediments. But she seems so golden! That was such a tender mercy that she called because I didn't knock on her door like I should have. She even admitted that Sunday she should have come to conference. That she could have told her sister to wait while she went to church, but she let Satan win. She also recognized that the thought to call us was a prompting and she knows this is what she needs to do. She said that she's going to come to church next week no matter what! :) Long story short, follow promptings! Luckily, I kind of got a second chance, but we don't always get a second chance. I'm excited to keep teaching her! I hope she can get things in order so she can get baptized soon!

General conference was awesome! I loved it! My favorite talks were Elder Bednar and Elder Holland. I've loved hearing Elder Bednar speak since he's been called to the quorum of the 12, and even more now after seeing him here in Ok City. Elder Holland has become a favorite speaker of mine probably in the last year or so, and moreso because of hearing him at the MTC. I wish conference lasted longer. I always look forward to it so much, and then it's over so fast! Good thing we have it every 6 months.

We didn't have any investigators at conference! :( We were going to have two, but then things happened and they didn't come. Gloria, (one of Alma's sisters, she was baptized about a year ago, but she never really comes to church) came to the Sunday afternoon session with two of her kids, Sammie and Giselle. She enjoyed it! Also, Dawn, one of the sisters investigators who we found, came to the Sunday afternoon session. She seems golden, but she's the english sisters.

Again, I'm not looking forward to the summer. It's been kind of warm, not like too bad, but enough for me to imagine how hot summer will be. I can't wait to be dripping in sweat! Good thing I'm only here for one summer.

One more thing, I got an e-mail from Corey. He's still in the same area, but he's with a new companion and they are zone leaders. Crazy! I'm so happy all is going well with him in Japan and that he has the opportunity to serve as a leader among his fellow missionaries. Sometimes I wish I was in his same mission so I could watch him serve and lead!

Time to go! I love you all! Thanks for everything! Until next week...

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...