Tuesday, January 26, 2010

one more week until 3rd transfer...

Hey Everyone,
So like Corey, I don't know what to write in the subject line either. Sorry I'm kind of boring like that. Anyway...

This last week was a pretty good week! The weather has been really nice. The last two weeks it's been between 50s-70s. The last couple of days it's kind of been getting cold again. Like in the 30s-40s, and we are expecting 10 inches of snow of Thursday. President Gee even sent out an e-mail to all the missionaries about the upcoming week and the weather.

Saturday and Sunday the heater in our car stopped working. Then on Sunday we noticed that our car was getting close to overheating. So, Monday morning we called Elder Hall (he's over the cars in the mission). He told us to check the radiator, and we were just like, what, how? So, we had the elders in our apt complex come help us. Our radiator was leaking, and that's why the heater hasn't been working. We took it to the dealership Monday morning, and the guy there told us it would be a couple days because this is a "good job." So, we've been carless since yesterday morning. We didn't work much yesterday, although the english sisters did give us a ride to one of our appts because they were working in the same area. But we had to cancel almost everything yesterday. It was really depressing. Especially since this is Sister Whiting's last full week in the mission. We taught one lesson, which was to Rosa and Luz.

Good thing today is p-day because we always carpool with the english sisters (we take turns driving, them and us) to e-mail, buy groceries, etc. So, they're driving today. Hopefully we can find a member to take us out tonight, and hopefully we'll get our car back soon.

This was supposed to be a happy e-mail because we really did have a great week last week. We had 11 investigators at church on Sunday, although only 5 made it in time for the sacrament. Luz, Rosa, Ismael and Joana (two of Luz's grandkids), then Haiden and Byron, Miguel (referral from other elders in our district), Pedro (referral from other elders in Midwest City), Alma and her kids, (Destiny is over 8, so she is an investigator too), and then Hna. Coronado, the wife of a member. it was great! Gloria was also there with Giselle. (Gloria is one of Alma's sisters. She was baptized last summer. She is living with a guy, Alex, but they are trying to get married. She just had a baby a month ago.)

Also, we always have a weekly goal to contact 100 people. If we tract a little every day, it's not hard to meet this goal. But usually, we're teaching so much, that Friday comes and we haven't tracted that much. Last week, as of Saturday morning we had 8 contacts. But we decided to go to a flea market because one set of elders go there every Saturday, and that's how they found Miguel (he came to church on Sunday). So we went, and we talked to over 100 people easily. That wasn't even talking to every single person we saw. So, we're going to go there from now on. We still want to tract though, because we don't get any potential investigators out of that. We just gave them pass along cards, and hopefully if they are interested they'll call.

Transfers are in a week from tomorrow. I'm sad because I have to say bye to Sister Whiting, Sister Thaxton, and Elder Sivertsen. Sister Whiting was the best companion and trainer I could have ever asked for. No, actually, she was better than what I could have asked for. She's just amazing! I love her so much! I'm so grateful I got to know her and be her companion for 2 transfers. She's from Hawaii, and she will return to Provo to go to BYU. She is studying english with a minor in editing.

Sister Thaxton was one of the english sisters that live in our same apt complex, and she's been in this area since I've been here. Man, she's awesome! Today I just realized that aside from reminding me a lot of Boo, she reminds me a little of one of my first roommates at BYU-I, Tasha. Anyway, I'm going to miss her. She's from Sandy, Utah.

Elder Sivertsen has been AP (assistant to the president) since I got here. He's great! He's from Las Vegas, and he'll also be going to BYU Provo.

It's really true that you form so many eternal relationships on the mission. I'm sad to see them all leave, but I'm excited to get to hang out with them and see them again after the mission.

I don't know what else to write...
Oh, I will either be comps with Hna. Alas or Astrid. Astrid Martinez is a member, she served a mission in Portugal and got home last April. She is AWESOME! She is always so willing to go visit people with us and do anything. She will be serving a mini mission next transfer, well probably, because we will only have 3 spanish sisters... me, Hna. Alas, and Hna. Tucker. Anyway... I am excited to see who my new comp will be.

Okay, gotta go. Love you all tons! Thanks for everything!

Love,
Hermana Christina Hogewoning

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...