Monday, April 15, 2013

Miss Independent

Sometimes I forget that Heavenly Father didn't send us to the earth to endure the journey back to Him alone. I am not simply referring to being married. He has blessed us with family and friends. Most of all He has blessed us with His son, Jesus Christ. We cannot travel this path alone. We cannot do it with all of the help from everyone literally around us. We need the Savior and His atonement. Not just to cleanse us from sin, but to enable us with power beyond our own.

I tend to be Miss Independent. I don't need help from anyone. I can do it all by myself. While independence is great, this is not the Lord's way. We truly cannot navigate life alone. Thus why He sent us to earth in families. Thus why He gave Adam a helpmeet, Eve. It was not intended for us to fail. He intends for us to succeed and return to live with Him for eternity. Our purpose in this life is to assist Heavenly Father is His purpose, which is "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39) That is the greatest work we can perform in this life here on earth, helping others find the gospel and live it forever that they may return with us to our Father in heaven.

Yesterday during fast and testimony meeting, a girl named Anna got up and bore her testimony. Anna said that she had promised herself that when things started to turn around for her, she would bare her testimony. A few months back a girl had called and invited her back to church, promising that things would get better if she would come back. Tears started to run down my face as she spoke. I don't remember promising Anna that. I remember believing it and wondering how on earth it would happen for her. A few days ago, I had been at a meeting with my Relief Society presidency, and her name had been brought up saying that things were working out for her, which I was so happy to find out. And yesterday, Anna testified of that same thing. She said she had only come back a few months ago, and things were looking up, and she knew the Church was true.

I wasn't going to bare my testimony yesterday because I didn't feel like I needed to or even wanted to because of things that have happened during the past week. But after that girl bore her humble testimony, I knew I had to get up. I couldn't sit there selfishly and keep what I know to myself.

There were a few testimonies in between mine and Anna's. The girl that spoke right before me shared thoughts similar to what I had wanted to say, specifically on the importance of missionary work.

Sometimes I forget that Heavenly Father didn't send us to the earth to endure the journey back to Him alone. We can't do this alone. We need each other and we need Christ. I know that He knows us individually. We are each here in this place with these people for a specific reason. It is our responsibility and great opportunity to assist Heavenly Father is His great work-"to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." I am grateful for the opportunity that I have to be a small instrument in His hands. As we reach out and open our mouths, we will be able to bless and touch the lives of others in ways we cannot comprehend. I know that the Church is true. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet, and through Him the Church was restored. The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and as we open that book and read it, power will come into our lives. Jesus Christ is our Savior who atoned for our sins and sorrows. Through Him we will receive power to overcome sin and weakness and become as He is and one day return to live in His presence with our Heavenly Father as families.

I am so grateful for the spirit in my life, which allows me to help and bless the lives of those around me. I truly feel joy when I watch others come to know what I know and then travel the journey with me to endure to the end. Our lives can be full of miracles if we will be in tune with the spirit and reach out to others.

Sometimes Miss Independent is humbled and remembers the bigger picture. It's in those times when life is happy no matter how hard or easy it may be. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who patiently allows me to make choices and learn for myself that anxiously awaits my return every time I stray.

"The proper motivation for missionary work of any kind, as for all Church service, is of course love for fellowmen, but always such work has its by-product effect on one's own life. Thus as we become instruments in God's hands in changing the lives of others our own lives cannot help being lifted. One can hardly help another to the top of the hill without climbing there himself." -Spencer W. Kimball

No comments:

An Unrelenting Longing

Earlier this year, I blocked my parents from being able to text or call me and from seeing my social media. I had prided myself for years th...